By David Damrosch
World Literature in Theory offers a definitive exploration of the urgent questions dealing with these learning global literature today.
- Coverage is divided into 4 components which research the origins and seminal formulations of worldwide literature, international literature within the age of globalization, modern debates on international literature, and localized models of global literature
- Contains greater than 30 vital theoretical essays via the main influential students, together with Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Hugo Meltzl, Edward stated, Franco Moretti, Jorge Luis Borges, and Gayatri Spivak
- Includes major introductions to every essay, in addition to an annotated bibliography for additional reading
- Allows scholars to appreciate, articulate, and debate crucial concerns during this speedily altering box of study
Read or Download World Literature in Theory PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Interpreting the paintings of Georges Bataille, Pierre Klossowski, and Maurice Blanchot jointly for the 1st time, this pioneering learn explores their reaction to a double problem: that of assuming the load of philosophy whereas whilst putting forward the shadows, spirits, and specters that cross lower than the identify of literature.
The tragic mulatta was once a inventory determine in nineteenth-century American literature, an enticing mixed-race lady who turned a casualty of the colour line. The tragic muse was once an both everyday determine in Victorian British tradition, an unique and welcoming Jewish actress whose career positioned her along the “fallen lady.
Treacherous topics is a provocative and considerate exam of Vietnamese movies and literature considered via a feminist lens. Lan Duong investigates the postwar cultural productions of writers and filmmakers, together with Tony Bui, Trinh T. Minh-ha, and Tran Anh Hung. Taking her cue from the double which means of "collaborator," Duong exhibits how background has formed the loyalties and moving alliances of the Vietnamese, lots of whom are stuck among opposing/constricting forces of nationalism, patriarchy, and communism.
That includes a second in past due 17th- and early eighteenth-century England prior to the disciplinary divisions that we inherit at the present time have been proven, Empiricist Devotions recovers a type of empiricist pondering within which the recommendations and emphases of technology, faith, and literature mixed and cooperated.
- Imagine the Sound: Experimental African American Literature after Civil Rights
- Complete Works in Verse and Prose
- Emily Dickinson in Context (Literature in Context)
- The Ethics of Intensity in American Fiction
Extra info for World Literature in Theory
World Literature in Theory by David Damrosch