By Michael Schmidt
Read or Download The Novel PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Studying the paintings of Georges Bataille, Pierre Klossowski, and Maurice Blanchot jointly for the 1st time, this pioneering learn explores their reaction to a double problem: that of assuming the weight of philosophy whereas while maintaining the shadows, spirits, and specters that cross below the identify of literature.
The tragic mulatta was once a inventory determine in nineteenth-century American literature, an enticing mixed-race girl who turned a casualty of the colour line. The tragic muse was once an both conventional determine in Victorian British tradition, an unique and inviting Jewish actress whose occupation positioned her along the “fallen girl.
Treacherous matters is a provocative and considerate exam of Vietnamese movies and literature seen via a feminist lens. Lan Duong investigates the postwar cultural productions of writers and filmmakers, together with Tony Bui, Trinh T. Minh-ha, and Tran Anh Hung. Taking her cue from the double that means of "collaborator," Duong indicates how heritage has formed the loyalties and transferring alliances of the Vietnamese, lots of whom are stuck among opposing/constricting forces of nationalism, patriarchy, and communism.
That includes a second in overdue 17th- and early eighteenth-century England prior to the disciplinary divisions that we inherit this present day have been demonstrated, Empiricist Devotions recovers a type of empiricist considering during which the options and emphases of technology, faith, and literature mixed and cooperated.
- Charles Dickens (Longman Critical Readers)
- From Nation to Diaspora: Samuel Selvon, George Lamming and the Cultural Performance of Gender
- An Ethics of Betrayal: The Politics of Otherness in Emergent U.S. Literatures and Culture (American Literatures Initiative)
- German war literature. How effective did anti-war and anti-Nazism writers articulate themselves?
- Caliban's Voice: The Transformation of English in Post-Colonial Literatures
- Words for a Small Planet: Ecocritical Views
Additional info for The Novel
The Novel by Michael Schmidt