By Nathan Andersen
Shadow Philosophy: Plato’s Cave and Cinema is an available and intriguing new contribution to film-philosophy, which indicates that to take movie heavily is usually to interact with the basic questions of philosophy. Nathan Andersen brings Stanley Kubrick’s movie A Clockwork Orange into philosophical dialog with Plato’s Republic, evaluating their contributions to subject matters comparable to the character of expertise and that means, the nature of justice, the distinction among visual appeal and fact, the significance of paintings, and the influence of images.
At the center of the e-book is a singular account of the analogy among Plato’s allegory of the cave and cinema, built together with a provocative interpretation of the main robust photo from A Clockwork Orange, during which the lead personality is strapped to a chair and compelled to monitor violent movies.
Key gains of the booklet comprise:
- a finished bibliography of steered readings on Plato, on movie, on philosophy, and at the philosophy of film
- a record of steered motion pictures that may be explored following the strategy during this ebook, together with short descriptions of every movie, and proposals relating to its philosophical implications
- a precis of Plato’s Republic, ebook through e-book, highlighting either dramatic context and topic matter.
Offering a detailed interpreting of the arguable vintage movie A Clockwork Orange, and an introductory account of the crucial subject matters of the philosophical vintage The Republic, this ebook may be of curiosity to either students and scholars of philosophy and picture, in addition to to readers of Plato and lovers of Stanley Kubrick.
Read Online or Download Shadow Philosophy: Plato’s Cave and Cinema PDF
Best media studies books
Are there occasions which are inherently scandalous? strength of Scandal reveals that the very notion of 'scandal' is derived no longer from an occasion, yet from public opinion - which, in flip, is construed through media narratives. Scandal is robust due to its skill to problem associations via destabilizing their legitimacy.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2007 im Fachbereich Medien / Kommunikation - Medienökonomie, -management, word: 1,3, Universität Erfurt, 15 Quellen im Literaturverzeichnis, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: „Dauerhafte Exzellenz braucht dauerhaften Wettbewerb“, postuliert Professor Matthias Kleiner, Präsident der Deutschen Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) in seiner Ansprache zum Neujahrsempfang 2007 und spielt damit auf den künftigen Wettstreit um Fördergelder unter den deutschen Hochschulen an.
How do structures act with humans and between humans within the performances of existence? This choice of essays unearths a deep alliance among structure and the appearing arts, uncovering its roots in historic tales, and tracing a continuing culture of concept that emerges in modern perform.
This e-book identifies the strengths and weaknesses of alternative methodological techniques to analyze in verbal exchange and social switch. It examines the methodological possibilities and demanding situations occasioned by way of speedy technological affordances and society-wide variations. This examine presents grounded insights on those matters from a vast diversity of educated lecturers and skilled practitioners.
- The Culture Industry, Information and Capitalism
- Drehbuchliteratur - Kochbücher für Einheitsbrei?: Eine kritische Bestandsaufnahme (German Edition)
- Game-based-learning zwischen Spiel und Ernst (German Edition)
- Jingles in der Werbung - Definition, Arten und Ziele (German Edition)
- Transmediale Genre-Passagen: Interdisziplinäre Perspektiven (Neue Perspektiven der Medienästhetik) (German Edition)
Additional resources for Shadow Philosophy: Plato’s Cave and Cinema
Shadow Philosophy: Plato’s Cave and Cinema by Nathan Andersen