By David Krasner
- Contains unique research of performs and playwrights, connecting topics and delivering unique interpretations
- Includes assurance of non-English works and traditions to create a world view of recent drama
- Considers the impact of modernism in paintings, song, literature, structure, society, and politics at the formation of contemporary dramatic literature
- Takes an interpretative and analytical method of smooth dramatic texts instead of concentrating on construction history
- Includes insurance of the ways that staging practices, layout options, and performing types knowledgeable the development of the dramas
Read Online or Download A History of Modern Drama, Volume I: 1 PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Interpreting the paintings of Georges Bataille, Pierre Klossowski, and Maurice Blanchot jointly for the 1st time, this pioneering learn explores their reaction to a double problem: that of assuming the load of philosophy whereas while asserting the shadows, spirits, and specters that pass less than the identify of literature.
The tragic mulatta was once a inventory determine in nineteenth-century American literature, an enticing mixed-race lady who turned a casualty of the colour line. The tragic muse used to be an both favourite determine in Victorian British tradition, an unique and welcoming Jewish actress whose occupation put her along the “fallen lady.
Treacherous topics is a provocative and considerate exam of Vietnamese motion pictures and literature seen via a feminist lens. Lan Duong investigates the postwar cultural productions of writers and filmmakers, together with Tony Bui, Trinh T. Minh-ha, and Tran Anh Hung. Taking her cue from the double which means of "collaborator," Duong indicates how background has formed the loyalties and transferring alliances of the Vietnamese, a lot of whom are stuck among opposing/constricting forces of nationalism, patriarchy, and communism.
That includes a second in overdue 17th- and early eighteenth-century England sooner than the disciplinary divisions that we inherit at the present time have been proven, Empiricist Devotions recovers one of those empiricist pondering within which the thoughts and emphases of technological know-how, faith, and literature mixed and cooperated.
- Clouds above the Hill: A Historical Novel of the Russo-Japanese War, Volume 3
- Ethics and Politics in Modern American Poetry (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
- What Is a World?: On Postcolonial Literature as World Literature
- The Literary Theory Toolkit: A Compendium of Concepts and Methods
- Understanding Pat Conroy (Understanding Contemporary American Literature)
Additional info for A History of Modern Drama, Volume I: 1
A History of Modern Drama, Volume I: 1 by David Krasner